Many of you learned on facebook last week that I have been invited to a short-term missions trip to the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, England. The Lord has truly blessed me with this opportunity, and I am incredibly humbled to labor beside some of the most faithful and influential evangelists I know.
My good friend and dear brother Bill Adams of Sports Fan Outreach International is leading a team to London between July 26th – August 10, 2012. If you recall the 2012 Super Bowl Outreach that Bill put together earlier this month, you might consider the Olympics outreach as similar but on a greater scale in terms of people we will be reaching with the Gospel.
The objectives for this missions trip include:
- To proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the hundreds of thousands in attendance at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, one of the largest cities in the world with a population of approximately 8 million.
- To serve under the guidance of the Body of Christ in London in order to connect individuals with local churches for discipleship purposes. We desire for these local churches to embrace “seekers” and new converts to help them find a biblical church home in London or anywhere in the world from which they may come.
- To encourage the Body of Christ in London by coming alongside local churches in our evangelistic mission. We invite any Christians who will be in London during the Olympics to join us in sharing the Gospel. This will be a great opportunity for fellowship, learning, and encouragement in the Great Commission (if that’s you, please contact us).
Over the next five months, we will be reaching out to these local churches as we seek their support and perhaps will have the opportunity to serve their congregations.
My plan is to depart Charlotte, NC on July 26 and return to Charlotte on August 5. That’s 2 days travel and 9 days of ministry. The following is the expected cost for this missions trip:
- $1,264 round-trip airfare
- $100 per day that includes travel, food, and accommodations at the Guildford YMCA
- Total = $2,364 rounded to $2,500
This will be my first short-term missions trip to another country. I am very excited about it as the focus will be on serving the local Body of Christ and proclaiming the Gospel in the open-air and one-to-one witnessing. Much like the Super Bowl Outreach, we will have several hours of prayer and fellowship each morning before we minister on the streets for about eight hours per day. Personally, this means I will be conducting ministry activities for about 72 hours during this trip, Lord willing (not including witnessing opportunities during travel time).
It would be a huge blessing to me if you saw fit to support my short-term missions trip to the 2012 Summer Olympics. If you are led to cheerfully give a donation, your generous offering can be made by the following two options:
- Write a check payable to The Speak:Truth Project re: Justin Edwards and mail to:
Creekside Bible Church
Attention: Justin Edwards
212 Garmon Road
Indian Trail, NC 28079.
- Donate online through Paypal (please note donation is for Olympics):
I will keep you apprised weekly as the Lord graciously provides the funds necessary for this trip through your faithfulness.
I am so thankful for each of you who have supported this blog ministry by your readership and prayer over the last couple of years. Your prayer for this ministry and the Gospel-effectiveness of the missions trip to London is cherished.
May God be immensely glorified through these efforts, all to the praise, honor, and glory of the Lord Jesus Christ.
If you are interested in joining us, please visit SFOI for registration details.